I made some mozzarella stuffed meatballs to take to my in-laws for dinner. It was father-in-laws birthday and he requested spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.
This was originally from a Rachel Ray recipe for Spaghetti and Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs but I did not want to use her sauce recipe and I did not like that she cooked the meatballs in the sauce. I prefer cooking them in the oven.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 cup milk (or water)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 pound lean ground beef
2 Tbls chopped, fresh, flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1 tsp salt
4 ounces mozzarella cheese (cut into 20 - 1/2" cubes) (I end up using most of a 8oz block)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a medium bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in the milk.
3) Add the beef, garlic, parsley, parmesan cheese, egg and 1 tsp salt to the soaked breadcrumbs and stir with a fork until combined.
4) Place about 2 Tbls of mixture in your hand and press a mozzarella cube into the center. Shape the meat around the cheese, forming a ball. Repeat with remaining mozzarella.
5) Cook at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.