Tonight I made chicken stuffed shells. They were so good. I can not wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
I had made these before the but they were much better this time. I think the chicken tasted much better when cut into tiny pieces rather than being shredded. I also think that I liked this dish much better with cottage cheese rather than the ricotta.
I did not get a really good picture because they smelled so good and I was so hurry I just wanted to eat.
Chicken Stuffed Shells
15 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
2 teaspoons oil
2-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
8 ounces cooked chicken (I used 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts)
1(15 ounce) container fat free ricotta cheese (I used cottage cheese instead)
1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs (I used panko)
1 (28 ounce) can low fat marinara sauce (I like a lot of sauce so I used more than this)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp parsley
Parmesan cheese for topping
These are the additional ingredients I added to the filling mixture.
- Mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, Penzey's "Pasta Sprinkle", garlic powder and onion powder.
* Heat oven to 400 degrees.
* Spray large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
* Cook pasta shells according to directions and drain.
* Boil chicken and shred. (I sauted the chicken with some seasonings and diced it into very small pieces)
* Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
* Combine chicken and garlic, cook for 3-5 minutes.
* Remove from heat and stir in ricotta, breadcrumbs, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
* Spread 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
* Fill cooked shells with chicken mixture and place filled sides up in baking dish.
* Pour remaining sauce over shells.
* Bake covered with foil for 15-20 minutes, remove foil and continue baking until filling is lightly browned.
* Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.