Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup

Chicken noodle soup with a soda on the side. That was probably the weirdest song that I have ever heard but anytime I think of chicken noodle soup I start to sing it.

I love soup but my husband always claimed that he did not. Come to find out, he hates all the broth. So he eats all the meat, veggies and noodles and leaves the broth behind. Me on the other hand, I love the broth. Soup broth is a perfectly good reason to eat crackers (like I really need another reason to eat more crackers. :) Tonight I used whole wheat Ritz, seriously though, have you ever tried them? I think they are better than the good old fashion white flour ones. Anyway, back to the soup. I did make a few small changes to the recipe but that was only to use up some ingredients I had on hand and I also used whole wheat noodles so if you are wondering why my noodles look off-white that is why. The soup is awesome (husband approved) and I can not wait to eat the leftovers. :) Thanks for sharing the wonderful recipe Elly.



Chicken Noodle Soup
(Source: Elly Says Opa!)

2 Tbsp. butter
1 large onion, diced
1.5 cups carrots, sliced
1.5 cups celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 cups homemade or good quality chicken broth or stock
1 bay leaf
1/2 (heaping) tsp. ground marjoram
1 tsp. thyme
1 Tbsp. dried parsley
4 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded (always prefer it roasted, myself)
5 oz. (about 1.5 cups) uncooked egg noodles
fresh ground pepper, to taste

In a large stockpot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 3 minutes before adding the celery and carrots. Continue cooking a few more minutes before adding the garlic. Stir until fragrant.

Add the chicken, broth, bay leaf, marjoram, thyme, parsley and ground pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce. Simmer lightly for 30 minutes.

Add the noodles* and simmer until cooked, about 8 minutes.

*Note: The noodles will continue to absorb the liquid as leftover sit in the pot/fridge. If you want to prevent your soup from thickening and becoming too chunky, you can reduce the amount of broth slightly and cook the noodles in a separate pot, combining with the soup in your bowl as you are about to eat.

8 comments:

Elly said...

Looks great! Glad you liked it :)

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the comments! I didn't know anyone actually looked at my blog besides one of my IRL friends. LOL.

The recipes on your blog look divine! I might have to give some of them a try :)

Btw, are you a nestie? If so, what's your sn, so I can make some kind of connection :D

MrsSchoon said...

Mmm, I love some chicken noodle soup. Looks great!

That Girl said...

I don't like the chicken in chicken noodle soup. I eat the broth, veggies, and noodles!

The three of us (me, you, and your husband) should get together and divide up the portions ;-)

Carrie said...

YUM! I love chicken noodle soup!

Meant To Be Wed said...

Wow! I just made this and it is sooo yummy! :) Thanks for sharing!

Meant To Be Wed said...

I just made this today & it is soo yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

i made this today but added some chicken buillon cubes to the broth (i had broth after roasting a chicken a while back and had it frozen for soup), it made it a little richer that i like. my toddler LOVED it! thanks...i'm enjoying your blog. found it when i was looking for a recipe for an alfredo pasta bake, made a variation of what you have on here. now it's in my bookmarks! :)