Sunday, July 20, 2008

Nice Buns

I have a problem where I put things into my freezer and then never remember to take them out and use them. Heck, I still have 2 rounds of this french bread in my freezer from February. While shifting things around in the freezer yesterday morning I found some pork in there that I new had been in there a while and needed to be used up. I decided to make this pulled pork recipe with it. But wait, I do not have any hamburger buns and have already been to the store today. Oh no problem, I'll just make some.


I was originally going to use
this recipe but I did not feel the urge to convert all the measurements over to ounces. So I then came across this recipe and decided I would just make it before I ran out of time. You see I was having a bad day in the kitchen today. A casserole dish slid off a shelf and crashed down and shattered on the inside of my cupboard. An egg, in which I named Humpty Dumpty, decided to roll off of the counter and come to an untimely death. Once my buns rose they were mammoth! I am talking about 6" round, seriously! Then, I managed to burn my hand on the oven rack taking these buns out. ::sigh::


With all said and done, and me vowing to stay out of the kitchen for the rest of the evening, these buns were great. Definitely better than store bought. The dough came together nicely, they rose quickly and tasted great. I do think that my favorite
sweet dinner rolls would also make excellent buns for pulled pork.

Hamburger Buns
Adapted from: Rosa's Yummy Yums

Ingredients
1 cup (250g) water, lukewarm
2 tbls (30g) unsalted butter, at room temperature and creamed
1 egg (~50g)
3 1/4 cups (433g) plain white flour
1/4 cup (53g) castor sugar (I just put regular sugar through the food processor)
1 tsp salt
1 tbls instant yeast

1 egg yolk (+ 1 tsp water)
Sesame seeds


Directions
1. Sprinkle the yeast into the water and leave for 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve.
2. Combine all remaining dough ingredients and mix well.
3. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured working surface and knead for about 10 minutes until you've made a soft, smooth dough.
4. Place the dough in a clean and lightly greased bowl.
5. Cover it with a towel and let rise for about 1 or 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size.
6. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a flattened ball.
7. Place the buns on greased baking sheets, cover with a towel and let rise 30 to 40 minutes, until they're quite puffy and doubled in size.
8. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
9. Glaze the buns with the egg yolk and water mixture, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
10. Bake the buns for 12 to 15 minutes, until they are golden brown.
11. Remove them from the oven and cool them on a wire rack.

22 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks great!

Mary Ellen said...

Wow - they are prettier than store bought rolls!!

Anonymous said...

HAHA i love the title!!! and they buns do look good!!

Anonymous said...

I love that you made your own hamburger buns! Even if you had a rough night, it looks like they came out great!

Anonymous said...

Oh these look so, so good. I am saving this recipe and as soon as we use up the hamburger buns we already have I'm going to make these!

Megan said...

I just made some homemade buns not long ago but I'm ready to try another recipe. Thanks for this one. Hope things go better in the kitchen tomorrow!

That Girl said...

I have the exact same problem with my freezer!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Thanks for the mention! I'm happy to hear that you liked those buns! Your sandwich looks terribly good!

Cheers,

Rosa

Jessica said...

I think they look great! We all have rough days in the kitchen. But, there's no sense in crying over spilt milk :)

Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Nice buns indeed! They look great!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Nice buns is right! Those look AMAZING!! But I expect nothing less from the baking queen, Amber! :)

Anonymous said...

These are some great looking buns! I think homemade bread like this is so much better than store bought.

Shelby said...

The hamburger buns look awesome! I need to try this out - looks like a lot of people are!

MrsSchoon said...

These look perfect, Amber!

Cate said...

In spite of all the bad luck in the kitchen...these look really delicious!

giz said...

You're a brave soul. By the time I burned my hand, I would have packed it in and told Murphy to find someplace else to hang out.

Now how many people tell you how great your buns are?

Anonymous said...

Those look so soft and delicious! I think I know what I'm baking this weekend...

Anonymous said...

Oh my those look awesome. I haven't had luck with bread, I need to try!

Carrie (www.carriessweetlife.com)

Anonymous said...

Those are some NICE looking buns!!!!!!!!!! ha ha

ashley said...

these look great!

Robin said...

I have to agree, those are some nice buns! Definitely nicer than what you get at the store!

Belle & Ward said...

These are lovely! We've tried out the bun recipe from Gourmet, but we should give this one a try, too. They look lovely.