Monday, December 29, 2008

Macaroni and Cheese

I came across this recipe about 5 years ago when I was subscribing to some recipe card packs that come monthly in the mail. This is a really good and easy macaroni and cheese recipe that offers lots of versatility. The mix of cheeses suggested in the recipe is a great combination but can easily be changed up to fit what cheese you have on hand. The bacon was not in the original recipe but I think it is a great addition.


This dish could be made in advance if need be by doing everything except baking it. Just prepare it and put it into the fridge to chill until you are ready to bake. It may require a few additional minutes of baking but that's a small price to pay for being able to prepare this in advance. This recipe is always a hit with everyone.


Three-Cheese Macaroni
Source: Adapted from "Great Meals in Under 30 Minutes" recipe cards

Ingredients
8 ounces elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
2 cups milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup swiss cheese, divided
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs - optional
2 tablespoons butter - optional
6 slices bacon, cooked and diced- optional


Directions
1. Cook macaroni using package directions.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and salt and stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in dry mustard. Add milk gradually, stirring continually.
4. Cook over low heat, stirring continually, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in 1/4 cup each cheddar, mozzarella and swiss. Mix cheese sauce, macaroni, and bacon in a large bowl. Spoon into a 9x7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar, mozzarella and swiss.
6. If desired, melt remaining butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter; mix well. Sprinkle on top of cheese.
7. Bake until hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Bacon can only make mac and cheese even better :)

Cassi said...

This was pretty good... I'd have to say so myself.. I think it was missing a little something though. Luke absolutely loved it!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmmmm... Mac & Cheese is such a popular comfort food and this recipe looks great!

Anonymous said...

This is some of the prettiest mac n cheese I've seen. I love the 3 cheese idea and bacon - although I'm not a fan, it does look good!

Michele said...

That looks great! I still have yet to make homemade mac and cheese but I should hurry up and make it before the new year and I start trying to eat healthy foods! Notice I said trying! lol

Bob said...

That looks awesome. I love homemade mac and cheese, but my girlfriend won't eat it. I wonder if it freezes well...

nicole said...

I love anything with bacon, I will have to try this one!

Jaime said...

mmm that looks so good, especially w/the bacon!

happy new year!

Anonymous said...

I added chicken and whole wheat pasta to mine and it was DELISH!! thanks!!