I came across this recipe about 5 years ago when I was subscribing to some recipe card packs that come monthly in the mail. This is a really good and easy macaroni and cheese recipe that offers lots of versatility. The mix of cheeses suggested in the recipe is a great combination but can easily be changed up to fit what cheese you have on hand. The bacon was not in the original recipe but I think it is a great addition.
This dish could be made in advance if need be by doing everything except baking it. Just prepare it and put it into the fridge to chill until you are ready to bake. It may require a few additional minutes of baking but that's a small price to pay for being able to prepare this in advance. This recipe is always a hit with everyone.
Source: Adapted from "Great Meals in Under 30 Minutes" recipe cards
8 ounces elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
2 cups milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup swiss cheese, divided
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs - optional
2 tablespoons butter - optional
6 slices bacon, cooked and diced- optional
1. Cook macaroni using package directions.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and salt and stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in dry mustard. Add milk gradually, stirring continually.
4. Cook over low heat, stirring continually, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in 1/4 cup each cheddar, mozzarella and swiss. Mix cheese sauce, macaroni, and bacon in a large bowl. Spoon into a 9x7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar, mozzarella and swiss.
6. If desired, melt remaining butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter; mix well. Sprinkle on top of cheese.
7. Bake until hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes.