Monday, April 20, 2009

Strawberry Quick Bread

Strawberries are my favorite fruit of all time. I could eat them plain, dipped in yogurt, mixed with other fruit, or even baked into bread. Speaking of baked into bread, that is what I have for you today. A delicious strawberry bread with flecks of almonds all throughout. The original recipe called for walnuts but I prefer almonds and think they compliment the strawberries perfectly.


This recipe was typical of any quick bread recipe that I have made before. Whisk the dry ingredients, blend the wet ingredients, mix the two together and bake for an hour. This bread was moist, delicious, and packed with strawberry flavor. I think next time I will add a dash of cinnamon and possibly even leave out the nutmeg.


Walnut-Strawberry Quick Bread
Source: The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion, The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook

Ingredients
1/2 cup (2 ounces) chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cups (6 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon zest, or 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) mashed strawberries
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) vegetable oil

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x5" loaf pan.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the walnuts, flour, sugar, soda, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, eggs, strawberries, and vegetable oil. Combine the we ingredients with the dry ingredients, whisking until well blended.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the bread in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove it from the pan and transfer it to a rack to cool completely, 1 hour or longer. For best flavor and easiest slicing, wrap the bread while still slightly warm and let set overnight.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some strawberries looking for a purpose. This may be it! Thanks for the recipe.

Linds said...

Ooo looks delicious and perfect for the upcoming strawberry season!

Angie said...

Too funny, last night I was looking through some recipes to make some cookies for lunch snacks and found my great grandmothers strawberry bread recipe and posted it on the fridge to make soon. I LOVE strawberry bread!!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love strawberry bread and this looks wonderful!

Jessica said...

Your bread looks great!

That Girl said...

You can tell strawberry season has started again - with the festivals you can smell strawberries in the air!

Colleen said...

I have been obsessed with strawberries lately - this looks great!

Anonymous said...

I have never had strawberry bread, but it looks fantastic!

Mary @ KAF said...

Love that cookbook! it's one of my favorites.

Quoizel said...

That is such a great recipe. I am definetly going to try this tonight. Thanks

marieen said...

i love food...n ur food looks amazing! very nice presentation...you go girl!

Anonymous said...

I love baking bread, and this sounds delicious!

You post some really great recipes and I enjoy your blog. I have given you an award.

Anonymous said...

Strawberries are on sale here right now and I plan on stocking up! This looks like a good way to use 'em!

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Amber,
I hope you don't mind but I would like to "borrow" your Strawberry Bread link for a post I am doing for Strawberry Thanksgiving on Sunday the 7th. It's just the recipe I need to garnish the post. I've had you in my google search engine and thankfully, I remembered to use it today. I LOVE quick breads especially when they are filled with strawberries!!! Thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

I love quick breads. I love strawberries. That tells it all. Glad you shared this recipe.