This salad is really versatile, you can add whatever ingredients you like and leave out those ones that make you cringe. :) Some other ingredients that I have seen in this salad are; onions, tomatoes, and hard boiled eggs. In my opinion the salad is all about the sweet creamy dressing and not that it has exactly seven layers.
On this particular salad I left the dressing off because I thought that I had made way to much and that my in-laws would never eat it all. Boy was I wrong, I guess I should have just put the dressing on to begin with. But I did all of the ingredients in half which was a wise decision, otherwise it would not have all fit into my pretty trifle bowl.
Seven Layer Salad
(Source: Amber's Delectable Delights)1 head lettuce or 3 bunches of romaine (chopped into bite size pieces)
3/4 cup carrots, cut into bite size pieces3/4 cup broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
3/4 cup cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces1/3 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup of your favorite shredded cheese1/2 cup peas
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Dressing Ingredients1 1/2 cups miracle whip (or mayo)
1 tsp white vinegar1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar1 tsp garlic powder
dash onion powderdash pepper
Directions1) Combine all dressing ingredients and set aside.
2) In a 9x13 dish layer the ingredients, 90% of the lettuce, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower, light layer of dressing, remaining 10% of lettuce, remaining dressing, shredded cheese, peas, bacon and parmesan cheese.
3) Cover salad and put into refrigerator a few hours before serving.