Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hungry Man Mexican

It seems that I am always craving Mexican food, probably because my husband cannot survive if he does not eat some sort of Mexican food at least once every week. When planning the menu for this week I decided that enchiladas would be a great addition because it has been quite a while since I last made them. I know that real enchiladas use corn tortillas but I have the right to make them how I want and I wanted to use flour. So take that, humpf. :)


These were so simple to throw together and even easier since I had grilled the chicken last night while I had the grill on. So all I had to do tonight is take it from the fridge and shred it.



My husband had to work late this evening and I knew he would be pretty hungry when he got home. That is what inspired me to pack these full of protein and call them hungry man enchiladas. :) The husband managed to eat two of these and contemplated a third but decided to have some veggies instead. I on the other hand could only handle one. These were delicious, all the flavors melded together well and it was a great meal.


Hungry Man Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas

Source: Amber's Delectable Delights

Ingredients
1/2 cup chili gravy, recipe below
6, 8" flour tortillas

Filling Ingredients
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup
4 Cheese Mexican Blend
1/4 cup sour cream

Topping Ingredients
1 cup chili gravy,
recipe below
1/2 cup
4 Cheese Mexican Blend

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2
. Line bottom of 9 x 13 pan with 1/2 cup chili gravy.
3. In a medium bowl mix shredded chicken, beans (I smashed mine a bit, I seem to have slight texture issues with whole beans), cheese, and sour cream.
4. Lay out one tortilla* and place 1/2 cup of filling mixture down the center. Fold up tortilla tucking in the ends and rolling into a cylinder. Place enchilada into pan, seam side down, and repeat process until all the filling mixture is gone.
5. Top enchiladas with chili gravy and cheese. Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 additional minutes. Serve with a "dollop of daisy" aka sour cream. :)

*My secret for making flour tortillas pliable and easy to fold is to turn on a burner on the gas stove on and flop the tortilla over it. Let it set for about 15 seconds and then flip it over and let the other side warm for 15 seconds. Please remember that you are dealing with flames here so if your tortilla starts to smoke or catches on fire turn off the burner and remove the tortilla.

Chili Gravy

Adapted from original source
Homesick Texan, found on Sweet-Savory-Southern

Makes 2 cups

Ingredients
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp powdered garlic
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano (Mexican oregano is preferred)
2 T
chile powder (either homemade or a dark brand such as Gebhardt’s or Whole Foods)
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
1 pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups chicken broth (or water)

Directions
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it makes a light brown roux.
3. Add all the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients.
4. Add chicken broth or water, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens.5. Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. If desired, add water to adjust the thickness.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man these look great! I think I will try them for the weekend with some homemade Guac and tortilla chips!

MrsSchoon said...

I too love mexican food. These look fantastic! Glad you liked the chili gravy recipe. We love it!

Liz said...

I showed DH the photos and he said, "Yes. I would like this. SOON!"
Ha ha. It looks so good!

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! I love Mexican food too and we eat it quite a bit, so I'll have to try these.

grace said...

what about hungry woman? 'cause i could probably out-eat any man if these were sitting in front of me... :)

Anonymous said...

wow it looks delicious! I like mexican food so much.And the way it had been made its a very easy and simple recipe anyone can try it.Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

They're beautiful! I have to know, though - how did you get the filling in such a perfect rectangular shape - just skills ;) ? Also, the top photo really looks like it was grilled in a press - any secrets there, or just good luck with the oven? Thanks for a great looking recipe!

~Amber~ said...

Dear Anonymous, :)

Thank you!

-Not really skills for the perfect rectangular shape. The sour cream in the filling it acts as a bonding agent and all the fillings stick together. I just used a fork to help form it how I wanted it.
- It wasn't grilled in a press at all. I think it's just how I managed to put the chili gray and cheese on and how it melted in the oven. They have the flatter look on top because of how I formed my filling.

That Girl said...

I was going to make a comment about your perfect form too! My filling always piles in a blob in the middle and then leaks out the sides when I wrap!

Anonymous said...

Wow, those look awesome, I wonder if my husband will eat them. If I make them, he better! :)

Tearz said...

Holy cow....these look delicious. Its 10pm here and I'm wanting to whip these suckers up right now. Can't wait till tomorrow. Thanks for making your blog so yummy!

giz said...

I need to apprentice with a Mexican food master/mistress - I know absolutely nothing, zero, ziltch, mada about cooking Mexican food.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will make it soon.

Jessica said...

I KNOW that DH would love these. I will probably make these next week! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow Amber, those look so good! I loooove Mexican!

Kayte said...

these look incredible! i am always craving mexican as well, and enchiladas are one of my faves :-)

Amber said...

I am so excited to see a homemade chili sauce recipe. I planned for enchiladas on Monday, but was dreading running to the grocery for sauce - I'll make my own now. Thanks so much!!!

Minnies Great Danes said...

I didnt have any chicken so i put a little rice in these, they tasted great, i have been hungry for them ever since i made them.

Stephen Ackart said...

Just stumbled across your blog and saw these! I know what I am having for dinner!