Saturday, March 31, 2007

Alfredo anyone?

I had 2 very hungry men on my hands this evening. I had taken boneless skinless chicken breasts out of the freezer in the morning so I knew I was going to make something with chicken. I went through about 10 different recipes in my head before I landed on Alfredo. I decided to make the Cooking Light version.

I love the flavor of this recipe. My only complaint about it is that if you do not eat it right away it thickens. I had made it before and it thickened very fast. This time I tried solving the problem by adding in a bit milk right before I tossed the pasta with the sauce. I think it helped but the guys and I ate it so fast there was not really much time for it to thicken. I used whole wheat Rotini noodles and seasoned my chicken with Penzey's "Pasta Sprinkle".



Fettuccine Alfredo
(Source: CookingLight.com)


1 tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
2 tablespoons 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups hot cooked fettuccine (8 ounces uncooked pasta)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Cracked black pepper

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, cream cheese, and salt, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt. Toss sauce with hot pasta. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and chopped parsley. Garnish with black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.

The recipe can be found at the following link.
http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1571495

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I normally dont like cream cheese alfredo sauces because it thickens so quickly, but your pic looks so good enough to try it again!

Michelle said...

Wow, that looks amazing! It looks so nice and creamy. Is this the same recipe I had used before? If so, I'll have to try it again!