Sunday, April 8, 2007

Easter Cookies bring full bellies!

I made some chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies to take to Easter celebrations. Both recipes were a hit with everyone. This is what they looked like when they arrived at the get together.


The recipe for the chocolate chip cookies has already been posted in the
"Make mine a la mode" entry.


And here is the recipe for the sugar cookies. Thank you Joelen for sharing the awesome recipe with me.

I had the hardest time with the frosting. I originally doubled the recipe for the cookies so I figured I would also double the recipe for the frosting. Wow, was that ever a mistake. I am swimming in pastel seas of buttercream frosting. Hopefully it can be frozen or something.

At first the frosting was way way to think. So I added more milk to get it to the correct consistency. Then I tasted it and it tasted like pure powdered sugar. So I creamed some butter separately and added it to the existing frosting. I was not fond of the end result but I think that I just because I tried it in it's worst stage and could not get that taste out of my mouth. It did seem to be a hit with everyone else though.



Jon's Super Sugar Cookies

Cookies:
2 eggs
3/4 cup margarine
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon real vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups AP flour
frosting - recipe follows

1. Cream margarine and sugar well.
2. Add vanilla and eggs; combine well.
3. In separate bowl, sift the baking powder, salt and flour. Add to wet ingredients slowly until thoroughly combined.
4. Cookie dough must be chilled until firm, or overnight.
5. Remove dough from fridge and roll out to a 1/4 inch thickness.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
7. With cookie cutters or rim of drinking glass, cut out cookies.
8. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, depending on oven. Check often to prevent over cooking or burning. Cool on baking rack when done.
9. Meanwhile, to prepare frosting

Frosting:
1 teaspoon real vanilla
1 stick of real butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon cream or whole milk

10. Cream butter, milk and vanilla together.
11. Slowly add powdered sugar to butter until desired consistency. If you'd like, add liquid food coloring for festive cookies.
12. When cookies are cooled, slather this heavenly frosting. For more texture and color, press the top of the cookies in sprinkles, colored sugar or just eat plain!

*** These cookies are a hit any time of year and can be made festive with food coloring and sprinkles.

------------------------------------

And these are my "tools of the trade" (from right to left)....

*My stainless steel rolling pin my mother in law bought me. I store it in the fridge all the time so it is cold and ready whenever I want to use it.

*My pampered chef "bakers roller" for the little jobs that I do not feel like using the full size rolling pin for.

* My pampered chef "bakers mat" that I love so much for rolling out pie crusts and or cookie doughs. Saves me from having to scrub my counters like crazy to get the sticky floury dough off.

*My Easter shaped cookie cutters and my plate of flour for dipping the cutters into and to flour the bakers mat before rolling our dough.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Yummy! I made those sugar cookies for our Easter too, I need to try the Chocolate Chip! Glad it was a hit.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yay! Your cookies came out beautiful and I'm so glad you tried it! :)