Sunday, August 5, 2007

Slow cookin

I had purchased a few packages of boneless country-style ribs when they were on sale a few weeks back and had no clue what to do with them so I food savered them up and tossed them in the freezer. I was sick of looking at them so I decided that I just needed to make something out of them.

I have been hearing many raves about this recipe from a cooking board that I post on so I decided that I would give it a try. Of course I had no root beer in the house. So I headed down the street to the local drive-in and a bought gallon of fresh homemade root beer. YUM!


This had great taste to it even before I shredded it and added the BBQ sauce. My husband and I both enjoyed it. Usually the BBQ sauce that I use has a bit of a kick to it but for some reason that did not come out in this dish. So next time I will probably add a few dashes of hot sauce or some red pepper flakes to the recipe. Overall, it was wonderful.


Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
(Source: Allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle root beer
1 (18 ounce) bottle your favorite barbecue sauce
8 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted

Directions:
Place the pork tenderloin in a slow cooker; pour the root beer over the meat. Cover and cook on low until well cooked and the pork shreds easily, 6 to 7 hours. Note: the actual length of time may vary according to individual slow cooker. Drain well. Stir in barbecue sauce. Serve over hamburger buns.

My modifications:
- used boneless country style ribs instead of tenderloin
-made a dry rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder & chili powder
- coated meat in rub then pan seared
- cooked 6 hours on high, drained root beer, shredded meat, added in BBQ sauce and cooked for 1 1/2 hours longer

----- ---- --- ---- ----- ---- --- ---- ----- ---- --- ---- -----

I had some green beans and red potatoes that I wanted to cook up for dinner but I did not want to have to stand over them and stir or turn them while they cooked. So I decided to go back to a technique that I used on the grill one evening, the foil packet. They were so easy and so good that I ended up eating more beans that I did pork.


Green Bean and Red Potato Packets
(Source: Ambers Delectable Delights)

Ingredients:
1 pound green beans
3 small red potatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 -2 tbls olive oil (I used garlic flavored)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp chili powder

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375
- Wash and trim the green beans, wash and thinly slice the potatoes and toss them into a plastic baggie. Add the oil, garlic, and other seasonings into the bag and shake to coat. Lay a piece of foil onto a cookie sheet (about 12" long) and dump the mixture onto the middle of the foil. Place another piece of foil over top and fold the two layers together to make a pouch that no air will escape from. Place into preheated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. Transfer to serving dish and top with Parmesan cheese if desired.


7 comments:

Carrie said...

This looks great, I like the bean and potato dish, glad you got to use those ribs!

Kayte said...

yummy! do you think this would be good with chicken instead of pork?>

Cara said...

those green beans look great! I haven't tried foil packet green beans, but I think it will be great on the grill! (mental note" look for yummy fresh green beans!)

Heather said...

These look so yummy. Have to save this one.

Renea said...

Mmm that bbq looks divine! I love me some bbq!

Bonnie said...

I'm trying this meal tomorrow! Got the veggies prepped and ready to go so I can stick in the oven when I get home from work :) Thanks for posting this!

Brooke said...

I'm glad you thought it was good too...This is one of my all-time favs.