Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Chicken Sticks

School is almost out for the semester. I only have one more final until I can sing the praises of temporary freedom. But things have yet to actually slow down and at night I just find myself totally exhausted and have no urge to do anything (including cooking dinner). So yesterday I searched for a foolproof recipe that even the tiredest of all people could throw together. My husband and I really enjoyed it and these little chicken sticks would make a great finger food for a casual get together or a quick simple dinner.

I cut the recipe down to a little less than half since I only had 2 chicken breasts thawed. I also used egg whites instead of butter to dip the strips into before breading them because it is a little more healthy (sorry Paula). I think I would reduce the amount of thyme next time, I like it but only in small doses. Overall this was a very quick, easy and foolproof.


Italian Chicken Sticks
(Source: Food Network - Paula Deen)

1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch ground red pepper
8 boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
Marinara sauce or honey mustard, for dipping

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a pie plate or platter, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, thyme, basil, oregano, salt, garlic powder, and red pepper. Dip the chicken strips in the melted butter, then dredge them in the bread crumb mixture. Place the chicken strips in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Serve the chicken sticks hot with marinara sauce, or serve hot or cold with honey mustard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT idea! They are great looking! I was going to do mozzerlla sticks and "chicken on a stick" for our annual Christmas eve pajama party...but I think I'll do these instead! Thanks for the idea!!

Trisha said...

This is one of our favorite ways to make chicken. DH asks for the Paula chicken when we are unsure what to do with chicken some night. I hve started using this blend for chicken parmesan too! :)

Annie said...

These look really great! I especially like it because I'm starting to look for more "kid-friendly" recipes in case my little one is picky :) Definitely trying these (your way though, not Paula's).

Jaime said...

mmmm, i am definitely trying these!

Kayte said...

yummmm. i haven't made chicken fingers in a while. yours look so yummy!