Friday, February 12, 2010

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chipsters

I reached for Dorie Greenspan's cookbook the other day when I felt like baking up something delicious. My plan was to find a recipe in the book that I had all of the ingredients for and that I was able to make right then and there . When I came across this cookie recipe it sounded pretty good so I thought that I would give it a try.


If you were to take a peanut butter cookie, an oatmeal cookie, and a chocolate chip cookie and cram them all together into one bite these would definitely be what it would taste like. My husband and I enjoyed the cookies and so did all of my co-workers (especially the pregnant one). I did not have enough of any one kind of chocolate to put into these so I used a combination of bittersweet, semi-sweet, and white chocolate. These were a huge hit all around and I am already planning on adding the recipe to my list of favorites.



What is your favorite kind of cookie? Is there any kind of cookie that you would like me to feature here on Amber's Delectable Delights?

Chunky Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters
from
Baking, From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan

Ingredients
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoons freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks, or 1 1/2 cups -bought chocolate chips or chunks.

Directions
Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
Whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients, beating only until blended. Mix in the chips.If you have the time, cover and chill the dough for about 2 hours or for up to one day. (Chilling the dough will give you more evenly shaped cookies.)
If the dough is not chilled, drop rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto the baking sheets. If the dough is chilled, scoop up rounded tablespoons, roll the balls between your palms and place them 2 inches apart on the sheets. Press the chilled balls gently with the heel of your hand until they are about 1/2 inch thick. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back after 7 minutes. The cookies should be golden and just firm around the edges. Lift the cookies onto cooling racks with a wide metal spatula - they'll firm as they cool.
Repeat with the remaining dough, cooling the baking sheets between batches.

Storing - wrapped airtight or piled into a cookie jar, the cookies will keep at room temperature for about 4 days. Wrapped and frozen, they'll be good for 2 months.

6 comments:

Stefanie said...

I love oatmeal cookies and I love peanut butter cookies what could be better than mixing the two together.

Katy said...

Grins. I'm kind of a monoflavor cookie eater, just peanut butter, just oatmeal, just whatever. I love filled cookies, though, like fig newtons or boiled raisin cookies, pineapple filled. I've been dreaming of pineapple filled cookies....

unMuse said...

These taste really good - even though I didn't add the chocolate. The oats were a little undercooked for my taste, but I just played with the temp and time. They are worth every bit of the effort. So tasty!

Laura said...

Mmm those look so good! My favorite cookie (is actually in the oven right now) is oatmeal chocolate chip. Adding peanut butter to the mix just can't be a bad thing

Anonymous said...

I just made Dorie's Chocolate-Chocolate Chunk Muffins, super yummy! I'll have to try my hand at these cookies from her book next!

Anonymous said...

Come to find out...I've already made them. http://katskitchen.wordpress.com/2009/03/15/chunky-peanut-butter-and-oatmeal-chocolate-chipsters/ It's time to make them again! :)