Just like making the real thing, this mock toffee can be tricky to make. It needs to be cooked just perfectly to yield the right caramelized taste without being a sugary mess. The crackers add the perfect crunch for those people that love eating crunchy things (such as myself). :) This recipe is easy and delicious. Perfect for the busy holiday seasons.
Source: Joelen's Culinary Adventures
1 stick butter
1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
saltines - enough to line your baking sheet
1-2 cups semi chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 400. Line your baking sheet with foil.
2. Neatly place saltines on the foil lined baking sheet.
3. In a sauce pan, melt butter and add brown sugar. Allow butter and sugar to caramelize and boil for 2-3 minutes. Pour mixture over the saltines and spread it around to cover evenly.
4. Bake saltines in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the saltines. Allow it to rest for 2 minutes - enough for chocolate chips to melt. Using a rubber spatula or spreader, spread the melted chocolate over the saltines to evenly coat. Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts. Refrigerate to harden the chocolate. Break into random pieces.